2024 Teaching Excellence Award
Teaching Excellence Award Nomination Form
Teaching Excellence Award Timeline
Nomination and Application Procedures
- A faculty member may be nominated for the award by other faculty members, students, alumni or academic administrators. A faculty member may not be nominated by a relative, spouse, or significant other, or place his/her own name in for nomination. A faculty member is ineligible for the award if he/she has received the award within the past seven years (no later than 2016).
- Nomination forms and procedures are available through the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs at each college. Dissemination of information relative to the award, including all deadlines, will be undertaken by the academic vice president.
- All nomination forms must be turned in to the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs by Monday, September 25, 2023. Nominees will be notified of their nomination, the source, and the criteria to be met for the award by Monday, October 2, 2023.
- It is the responsibility of the nominee to complete the application process by providing supporting materials upon notification from the academic vice president. The completed application, including those supporting materials, must be submitted to the academic vice president by Monday, November 6, 2023.
- All applications should include the following materials:
- An original nomination form.
- A 1-2 page resume or vita that provides a concise summary of education, teaching experience, teaching awards, publications, service and other significant contributions. You may summarize this information using a biographical format. Focus on teaching; include the names of publications, articles, or books, but summarize the rest. Only the first two pages of a longer submission will be considered.
- A personal statement of no more than 1,000 words that provides a clear picture of the faculty member’s work with students and his/her scholarly approach to teaching and learning, based on the criteria established for the award. Please note that focus should be given to recent activities that support the nomination.
- Three to four letters of support (one to two pages each) as follows:
- One letter must be from the individual who nominated the faculty member.
- One to two letters from campus colleagues, such as faculty peers, department chairs, or academic deans.
- One letter from a former student.
- The VPAA will then forward the application to the Campus Review Committee, to be determined by the college president and academic vice president, by Monday, November 13, 2023. The Campus Review Committee will review the applications and comment on each, relative to the candidates’ qualifications for the award. They will rank the candidates and recommend one as the nominee from the college. The applications of all candidates will be forwarded to the VPAA for review and comment by Monday, January 15, 2024.
- Upon receipt of all complete applications from the Campus Review Committee, the academic vice president will review all applications and comment on each, relative to the candidates’ qualifications for the award.
- Upon completion of the review process, the academic vice president will forward to the president of the college all applications of qualifying faculty by Monday, January 29, 2024. The president will undertake a final review of the applications and submit one candidate from the college to the System Office for forwarding to the Academic and Personnel Committee of the board. Should the academic vice president and/or president not concur with the college committee, the recommendation will be returned to the committee for reconsideration. Each applicant will be formally notified of the status of his/her nomination following the president’s review.
- Each president will submit the nominee’s name and materials to the System Office for review by the Academic and Personnel Committee by Monday, February 12, 2024. The Academics & Personnel Committee will make the final selection of the award recipient and forward that name to the Board for approval during the meeting scheduled for Thursday, April 18, 2024.
- The recipient of the NSCS Teaching Excellence Award will be formally announced by the NSCS on Friday, April 19, 2024, via a press release from the System Office.
- The award recipient will be recognized at his/her college’s Spring Commencement Ceremony, scheduled for Saturday, May 4, 2024, as both the college-level and NSCS system-level award recipient for the year. At this time the stipend check from the Foundation Office will be presented by the representative NSCS Board member.
- The NSCS Teaching Excellence Award recipient will be formally recognized by the Chair of the Academic & Personnel Committee of the NSCS Board of Trustees and receive a commemorative gift during the next Board meeting held at his/her college.
FORMAT FOR APPLICATION SUBMISSIONS
While the criteria for the Teaching Excellence Award are the most important ingredients measured by various reviewing groups, the physical format of the submission is important so it does not detract from the examination of the material.
Application submissions should be scanned and submitted electronically as a single PDF document. Please ensure that the scanned representation of each page is clear and all pages are aligned.
Please arrange your materials in the following order:
- Cover page with 2024 Teaching Excellence Award at the top and the nominee’s name.
- Nomination form.
- 1-2 page resume or vita.
- Personal statement on teaching excellence as it relates to the criteria of the award. Evidence in both discipline and pedagogy should be stressed. Please note that this statement is limited to 1,000 words.
- Primary nominator’s letter of support (1-2 pages in length).
- Additional letters of support (at least two but no more than three letters, each 1-2 pages in length).